AOC Haut-Médoc Red
During the Middle Ages, Château Cantemerle was part of a line of fortifications defending the shores of the Médoc around one kilometre from the present château. The first record of wine-growing on the estate dates back as far as 1354, when the Lord of Cantemerle paid the dime tax with a barrel of claret. In 1892, Château Cantemerle came into the hands of the Dubos family who sold it in 1981, nearly one century later, to SMABTP (Mutuelles d'Assurance du Bâtiment et des Travaux Publics), marking the arrival of major institutional investors on the winemaking scene in France. Declared a Cru Classé in 1855, Château Cantemerle's vineyards are planted on gravelly soil along the Gironde estuary.