Château Palmer was established in the first half of the nineteenth century by the English general, Charles Palmer. In 1814, on his way back from the Peninsular War where he had fought with Wellington against Napoleon, General Palmer acquired Château de Gascq and gave it his own name.
In 1938, the Sichel family joined forces with a group of wine merchant friends to purchase the property.
Today, the vines of Château Palmer (AOC Margaux) cover a surface of 52 hectares of croupes (knolls) of Garonne gravel and are made up of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 47% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot. This combination of soil and grape varieties has been the greatest asset of Château Palmer (3ème Cru Classé) from its earliest beginnings.
At Château Palmer, tradition and evolving techniques have always gone hand in hand, and always with respect for the typical characteristics of this outstanding terroir.
Highly reputed worldwide, the wines of Château Palmer rank among the most prestigious of Bordeaux and are coveted by keen wine enthusiasts the world over.
We were lucky that our grandfather invested in Château Palmer in 1938. At the time it was seen as a mad challenge… Today, we’re delighted at the success the wines of Château Palmer enjoy all over the world.